Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 1

Unfortunately I do not have any photos. I will take some tomorrow for my Sundays in my city post :)

Many of you know that my mom was flying into Germany for the birth of my son, which is really exciting. Add into that the holidays and its just wonderful. This is the first time I have seen my mom since 2008 when I left home. She had never even met my husband.

She flew into Frankfurt this morning. We left around 6:30 am to go pick her up. She had no trouble with the TSA no photo shoots or frisky frisky, just the fact that no one would help her. She explained she had not flown in 30 years and did not know what to do and they just stared at her, thankfully another passenger helped her.

She said the flight went well, but the seat got smaller lol. The food was ok, she enjoyed the personal screens and the fact that she could want the live tracking to see the flight progression along the way. And I too was able to watch the flight tracker online. The few times in the night I woke up I checked online and saw once when she was over eastern Canada and later Iceland.

The plane was a bit late and they were slow with the luggage, so we ended up waiting about an hour after she landed till we saw her. We found parking without issue, traffic was not bad took about and hour and a half to get there. But oh man did I miss the us conveyor belt escalators, we had quiet the hike to her terminal.

We were able to wait in an area right outside of customs, just like most other areas you can no longer go to the arrival gates. It was all sectioned off so aside from an occasional peek as someone cam out through the doors, you could not see in. Luckily there was a nice sitting area. Toni and I had a coffee at a small cafe and checked out a small shop. They sold English magazines at 11 euro a pop. Needless to say I did not buy any.

I finally got to see my mom around 9:30 am. She saw me right after she came out of the doors and we cried and hugged. She said no one would help her get her luggage of the belt but she managed. Took a while to get through the passport stamping lines, but no one was even at the customs desks when she came to them, so she was able to just walk out without any issue or searches.

We walked hand and hand through the airport and stopped at Mcdonalds for breakfast on the way out. Then we drove back home. Luckily we got back before the winter market rush so we did not have any issues getting a parking spot.

We rested a bit in the afternoon and took naps. We then went through some baby photos I shared some of toni and she showed me some of mine. We looked at some heirlooms and gifts she brought.

For dinner we had leberkase, rotkohl and an attempt at Knödel. Toni failed to tell me to use cold water first, so we ended up with knödel smash, tasted the same but looked horrid.

We spent much of the day chatting and catching up. After dinner we went through the baby items she brought. I was amused to find out I have been subpoenaed on a old hit in run from about 5 years ago. I was the victim. This woman no showed so many times its not even finny. They dropped the initial attempted assault with a deadly weapons charge and this whole experience has been a joke. I am shocked after all this time to get a new summons. I will have to call next week and inform them I will not be arriving to the Mult co county courthouse on the 10th.

Its now 10pm and everyone is asleep but me lol. Depending on how we feel we hope to take her to check out the winter market tomorrow.

I am just so happy to have her here. We are going to have so much fun.

Oh and I almost forgot. She brought me the journal she started the day I was born that runs through the first year and a half of my life. We started reading it together :D

I have missed her so much.


Anonymous said...

It's wonderful your Mom is home with you!!! I hope you all have a great time!!! :)

Morgenmuffel said...

awww how lovely to have your Mom with you after such a long time and it sounds like she brought an amazing treasure trove with her, have a magical time and hope that the littl'un makes an appearance soon!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I am so excited for you! There is nothing better than having your Mom there for the birth of your first baby! What a trip it was for her since she has not flown in 30 years, things have changed so with all of the security. So, how did it go meeting your husband for the first time? That must have been nerve wracking for him! Well, keep us posted and have fun!


Sonya said... glad she made it there ok :) It's got to be so nice to have your Mom there during the last bit of your pregnancy :) Im so happy for you!!

Enjoy the time with her!

lytha said...

7 days to go!!!

leberkaese?! i assume your mom is a fan of spam?: ) (my man loves to have spam on every trip to america. not me.)

i am so happy for you that she is there.

i sincerely hope i don't have to go thru a nackt scanner or feel-up on tuesday. agh!!!!!!!!

i hate the thought of the 13 hours of travel time ahead of me, so i'm unable to get excited about my trip home on tuesday. i just dread those flights. the only thing that would help is first class, which isn't happening. usually it helps to have my man beside me, but this time i fly alone, *sob*

take care and please keep us updated about your next SEVEN DAYS: )


Formerly known as Frau said...

I'm happy your Mom made it safe and sound......I can't wait for your baby to arrive and how sweet for your Mom to be there! Enjoy the Market!


Related Posts with Thumbnails